[Rd] Experimental Rd parser in trunk.

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Nov 13 20:41:17 CET 2008

Just one additional comment in line below:

On 11/13/2008 1:44 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 11/13/2008 11:51 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>> Duncan,
>>
>> I had a quick look at the parsers differences and I'm worried about
>> points 1. and 2. (on p.6) -- does that imply that \R{} is illegal and
>> so is any \foo{} for any macro \foo that doesn't take any arguments?
>> IMHO that would be fatal (if I understand it correctly), since that
>> construct is very often used (and I know of no alternatives) in cases
>> where you are referencing a macro that is followed by something that
>> is not a space. E.g.: 1\foo{}2 cannot be written as 1\foo2 as per 6.
>> so if \foo{} is disallowed there is no way to call \foo between 1 and
>> 2 when you don't want any spaces to be generated).
>> Maybe I'm just interpreting is incorrectly, so I just wanted to point
>> out that issue.
>
> Thanks for the comment.  You are interpreting it correctly, and that is
> something that probably needs to change.
>
> The reasoning behind the current choice is that macros with optional
> arguments are ambiguous:  for example, in R code, {} might be part of
> the code, not something for the Rd parser.  We currently have \eqn and
> \deqn that have one or two args, but they're not going to occur in R
> code, so things currently work.  (But if you want to see ugly Bison
> coding, look at how those VERBMACRO2 macros are handled.  The Rd format
> is not easy to parse, being a mix of latex-like stuff, R code, and just
> about anything else in verbatim sections.)
>
> So I'd really strongly prefer to say that \foo *always* requires an arg,
> rather than let it be optional, if there are circumstances where it
> needs one.
>
> If we say that \foo never takes an arg, we'll need a way to distinguish
> between the following space being significant or not.  One way is to
> allow {} or some other marker that signals a break without inserting
> anything, and is only interpreted in Latex-like mode.  Another way (that
> I prefer) is described below.

I should say that allowing {} to immediately follow one of the 5 no-arg
macros, and having it gobbled up by the lexer, would be relatively easy
to implement.  So then the two examples below could be coded as
"1\dots{}10" versus "1\dots 10", which is I think what you were asking
for.  I have a mild preference for adding \sp (I don't like special
cases), but not a strong one.

Duncan Murdoch