[Rd] (PR#13234) Problems with Sweave and pdf.options(encoding="ISOLatin7")

Vaidotas Zemlys zemlys at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 12:45:24 CET 2008

2008/11/19 Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>:
> I can't actually check what happens since the message has been garbled en
> route to me.  Can you please send what you intended using \uxxxx escapes so
> it is portable.  (What I have is what appears to be UTF-8 re-encoded in
> UTF-8, things like c3 84 3f.)
>
> And can you also confirm that the example works correctly directly in pdf()?

OK, the modified R code is:

plot(rnorm(100),main="\u0105\u010D\u0117\u0119\u012F\u0161\u016B\u0173\u017E")

It does not work correctly with Sweave, as I wrote in my email, I
rechecked. And yes it works if only pdf is used.

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, zemlys at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sweave for some reason does not respect encoding setting in pdf.options.
>
> Rather it uses its own setting.  I think you need to set option
> pdf.encoding="ISOLatin7" on the Sweave call.

Is it possible to do that? Sweave function in R, does not support
that, and using
SweaveHooks produced the same result.

> It would probably be better if Sweave() fetched the default for
> options$pdf.encoding from pdf.options(), and definitely that this was
> documented.

I did not find any mention about encodings in ?Sweave, ?RweaveLatex
and ?Rtangle,  and Sweave manual and FAQ.
I looked at the code of RweaveLatexSetup, and saw that pdf.encoding is
defined explicitly, that is how I figured out, that
probably eps files are probably ok.

Sorry for the garbled message, next time I will send unicode portable
code without relying on email encodings.

Sincerely yours,

Vaidotas Zemlys