[Rd] Strategy for downloading packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 22:16:56 CET 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> I have a client who wants to install R and a custom package on a machine with
> no internet connection, so he wants to put everything needed on a CDROM and
> install from there.
>
> I've told him how to work out what is needed, but it seems that too much
> manual work is needed:  he needs to install the packages from .zip files
> (this is Windows) in the right order so dependencies are met, etc.

I don't think the install order matters for binary packages (on Windows or
elsewhere).  install.packages() certainly does not optimize it.

> Is there an automated tool to do this?  That is:

The easiest way is to copy a repository to the CD-ROM, and point repos at
that (as a file::// URL).  You can even add files and rebuild the PACKAGES
file (using tools::write_PACKAGES).

But if the list of packages never changes, why not just install them in a
separate library and burn that on the CD-ROM?