[Rd] Strategy for downloading packages

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Nov 19 22:30:36 CET 2008

On 11/19/2008 4:07 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2008, at 15:52 , Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
>> I have a client who wants to install R and a custom package on a
>> machine with no internet connection, so he wants to put everything
>> needed on a CDROM and install from there.
>>
>> I've told him how to work out what is needed, but it seems that too
>> much manual work is needed:  he needs to install the packages
>> from .zip files (this is Windows) in the right order so dependencies
>> are met, etc.
>>

> Why would that be necessary? The order is plays no role, since all
> it's just unpacking, so you can as well burn the content of the
> installed library and you're set... Or am I missing something?

Thanks, I didn't realize that the install order doesn't matter.  But in
the longer term, he'll probably want to do this himself, so he'll still
need to generate the list of dependencies and download them.  Or maybe
just burning a copy of the installed library is what he should do ---
I'd just be worried about versioning issues if he tries to update the
install without starting from scratch.

Duncan Murdoch