[Rd] *** buffer overflow detected ***: /usr/lib64/R/bin/exec/R terminated on R 2.6.2 to 2.8.0: logging a bug?

Corrado ct529 at york.ac.uk
Fri Oct 31 16:09:07 CET 2008

Dear friends,

the problem is on a postgresql 8.3.1 database on a 64 platform (the setting
described at the bottom of the previous email).

If the problems is with the odbc driver, why do the other applications connect
through odbc to the same databases without any problem? I do not think it is
possible ....

I have been able to connect easily to postgresql databases using previous
versions of RODBC (that is, before 1.2.3).

Could it be a problem with the compilation flags (CFLAGS)?

As for the steps: as user postgres create a database called test, create a
dsn, launch R, call the library RODBC, use odbcConnect => buffer overflow. I
thought they were already described in the original email.

Here is the odbc.ini for the dsn:

[test]
Description             = PostgreSQL
Driver          		= PostgreSQL
Trace          		 = Yes
TraceFile               = /tmp/sql.log
Database                = test
Servername              = localhost
Username                = postgres
Password                = none
Port            = 5432
ReadOnly                = No
RowVersioning           = No
ShowSystemTables                = No
ShowOidColumn           = No
FakeOidIndex            = No
ConnSettings            =

Best,
--
Corrado Topi

Global Climate Change & Biodiversity Indicators
Area 18,Department of Biology
University of York, York, YO10 5YW, UK
Phone: + 44 (0) 1904 328645, E-mail: ct529 at york.ac.uk