[Rd] *** buffer overflow detected ***: /usr/lib64/R/bin/exec/R terminated on R 2.6.2 to 2.8.0: logging a bug?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Oct 31 17:29:13 CET 2008

On 10/31/2008 11:09 AM, Corrado wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> the problem is on a postgresql 8.3.1 database on a 64 platform (the setting
> described at the bottom of the previous email).
>
> If the problems is with the odbc driver, why do the other applications connect
> through odbc to the same databases without any problem? I do not think it is
> possible ....

See Prof. Ripley's message.  RODBC is passing a buffer and buffer size
to the ODBC driver, and that driver is overflowing the buffer.  You
could probably hide this bug by making the buffer larger, but the real
fix is for the driver to take account of the buffer size it is being given.

Duncan Murdoch