[Rd] *** buffer overflow detected ***: /usr/lib64/R/bin/exec/R terminated on R 2.6.2 to 2.8.0: logging a bug?

Corrado ct529 at york.ac.uk
Fri Oct 31 17:57:58 CET 2008

On Friday 31 October 2008 16:29:13 you wrote:
> See Prof. Ripley's message.  RODBC is passing a buffer and buffer size
> to the ODBC driver, and that driver is overflowing the buffer.  You
> could probably hide this bug by making the buffer larger, but the real
> fix is for the driver to take account of the buffer size it is being given.

1) How do you make the buffer bigger? Are we talking about increasing the
-- --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 at compilation time? would that solve the
problem, in your opinion?

2) Why is this problem RODBC specific, if the problem is in the odbc driver? I
do agree that RODBC passes buffer / buffer size, but why do other
applications work and RODBC does not? If the problem was with the driver,
then every other application linking to the same database through the same
driver would have the same problem, unless the other applications pass the
call (+ buffer / buffer size) in a different way.

Please, keep in mind I am just trying to solve a problem that other people may
have, because I am using standard installation.

Best,
--
Corrado Topi

Global Climate Change & Biodiversity Indicators
Area 18,Department of Biology
University of York, York, YO10 5YW, UK
Phone: + 44 (0) 1904 328645, E-mail: ct529 at york.ac.uk