[Rd] suggestion of new API function for embedded programming.

EBo ebo at sandien.com
Thu Sep 4 17:33:38 CEST 2008

Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> said:

> Why do you think is R_ParseVector not sufficient for this? That is
> what most of use use to achieve exactly what you describe...
> For something that even mimics the continuation behavior of the R
> console have a look at parseString function in Rserve.

Thank you for the reply.

I am new to R, and struggling to learn most of it's aspects and embedding
issues in particular.  When I first posted my questions and comments on the
IRC channel and here I asked how I would go about about achieving this
functionality.  Last night I stumbled onto an example of what R_ParseVector
actually does I was finially able to get it working.  Part of my post was
intended to say I have found a solution, and part of it to show how my
original thought would be done.  There is only on reason to add the API is
code clarity and convenience.  Actually a few additional sentences in the
embedded documentation better explaining what R_ParseVector does would
havekept me from creating this thread and a couple of days of pain.  As for
parseString, this is the first I have read of it, so will now check into it.

Thanks and best regards,

  EBo --