[Rd] suggestion of new API function for embedded programming.

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Sep 4 18:00:13 CEST 2008

EBo wrote on 09/04/2008 10:33 AM:
> Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> said:
>
>> Why do you think is R_ParseVector not sufficient for this? That is
>> what most of use use to achieve exactly what you describe...
>> For something that even mimics the continuation behavior of the R
>> console have a look at parseString function in Rserve.
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> I am new to R, and struggling to learn most of it's aspects and embedding
> issues in particular.  When I first posted my questions and comments on the
> IRC channel and here I asked how I would go about about achieving this
> functionality.  Last night I stumbled onto an example of what R_ParseVector
> actually does I was finially able to get it working.  Part of my post was
> intended to say I have found a solution, and part of it to show how my
> original thought would be done.  There is only on reason to add the API is
> code clarity and convenience.  Actually a few additional sentences in the
> embedded documentation better explaining what R_ParseVector does would
> havekept me from creating this thread and a couple of days of pain.  As for
> parseString, this is the first I have read of it, so will now check into it.

Also, study the source code in the littler project. As it is a simple
command line alternative to the R shell script and executable, it may
bring you up to speed on simple embedding and parsing; another example
at least.

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/LittleR

Jeff

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/JeffreyHorner