[Rd] R (2.9.0 rc) CMD INSTALL will leave OOLOCK folder even if installation succeeded

ml-it-r-devel at epigenomics.com ml-it-r-devel at epigenomics.com
Thu Apr 16 17:37:24 CEST 2009

Hi,

since a couple of days ago I see failures when using
R CMD INSTALL -l lib  path-to-src/pkg.tar.gz

This occurs in automated library updating via a shell script and is caused by the
immediate preceding call to leave an 00LOCK folder
even though the package installation of that call succeeded.
This occurs at random (no obvious/systematic correlation to package name or or such) and
only for packages where an earlier version has been installed into the same library location.

e.g.

~/R/hardy$ R-2.9.0/bin/R CMD INSTALL -l R-2.9.x-libs R-2.9.x-libsSrc/CRAN/feature_1.2.3.tar.gz

** building package indices ...
* DONE (feature)

but
~/R/hardy$ ls -al R-2.9.x-libs/00LOCK/feature/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 XXX epiR 39 Mar 27 05:56 feature -> /mnt/local/R/hardy/R-2.9.x-libs/feature/

?INSTALL tells me of a workaround via --unsafe or --no-lock but I would prefer to use the
default incantation.
Any insights what the cause could be?

Regards, Matthias

R version 2.9.0 RC (2009-04-10 r48321)
on Ubuntu hardy

--
Matthias Burger                     Project Manager/ Biostatistician
Epigenomics AG    Kleine Praesidentenstr. 1    10178 Berlin, Germany
http://www.epigenomics.com           matthias.burger at epigenomics.com
--
Epigenomics AG Berlin           Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 75861
Vorstand:                           Geert Nygaard (CEO/Vorsitzender)