[Rd] odbcConnectExcel on non-Windows?

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Aug 9 19:04:28 CEST 2009

Hello:

      What should I do regarding code to write an Excel file in a
non-Windows platform?

      The "sos" package [new version of "RSiteSearch"] on R-Forge
includes "writeFindFn2xls", which starts with "require(RODBC)".  The
next line calls "odbcConnectExcel".  This works under Windows but fails
under Linux and MacOS.

      What would you suggest we do about this?

      It currently tests (.Platform$OS.type == "windows");  if(FALSE),
it issues an error, saying that it only works under Windows.  Also, the
help page skips those tests if the the platform is not Windows.

      If there is a better way to handle this, I would like to know.

      Thanks,
      Spencer