[Rd] more special completions

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 18:59:46 CEST 2009

On 8/21/09, Romain Francois <romain.francois at dbmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Would it be possible to add the capability for functions to register how
> they would like to complete themselves.
>
>  Currently, there is the .addFunctionInfo, but it allows only functions to
> register a static list of potential completions, I was thinking of a way to
> register not a fixed list of possible completions, but a __function__ that
> would calculate completions dynamically.
>
>  This could be useful for the "new" function in R, if associated with
> something that can retrieve the current list of S4 classes (not sure this
> exists).
>
>  Another example of where this could be used would be the .jnew function
> from rJava, where the first argument is a java class, associated with
> something that can complete java class names.

That should be useful (library, data, etc. are already hard-coded to
do special completion, but there is no reason for them to be special).
I'll have to think about how best to implement this.

I should have time to work in this in a couple of weeks (I also hope
to tackle your earlier request on $ completion then).

-Deepayan