[Rd] more special completions

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Fri Aug 21 19:14:30 CEST 2009

On 08/21/2009 06:59 PM, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:

> On 8/21/09, Romain Francois<romain.francois at dbmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   Would it be possible to add the capability for functions to register how
>> they would like to complete themselves.
>>
>>   Currently, there is the .addFunctionInfo, but it allows only functions to
>> register a static list of potential completions, I was thinking of a way to
>> register not a fixed list of possible completions, but a __function__ that
>> would calculate completions dynamically.
>>
>>   This could be useful for the "new" function in R, if associated with
>> something that can retrieve the current list of S4 classes (not sure this
>> exists).
>>
>>   Another example of where this could be used would be the .jnew function
>> from rJava, where the first argument is a java class, associated with
>> something that can complete java class names.
>
> That should be useful (library, data, etc. are already hard-coded to
> do special completion, but there is no reason for them to be special).
> I'll have to think about how best to implement this.
>
> I should have time to work in this in a couple of weeks (I also hope
> to tackle your earlier request on $ completion then).
>
> -Deepayan

Great.

I guess there are a few challenges, currently library, etc ... only use
the special completion feature for their first argument.

it might make sense to expand on this, for example the data argument of
a lattice call might be interested in the list of available data frames ...

Let me know if I can be of help when you tackle this.

Romain

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast