[Rd] Macintosh R.app crashing (PR#14100)

abstewart2 at bsu.edu abstewart2 at bsu.edu
Tue Dec 1 18:10:14 CET 2009

Full_Name: Ariel Stewart
Version: 2.10.0
OS: Mac OSX Tiger - v10.4.11
Submission from: (NULL) (147.226.161.33)

R.app crashes whenever I misspell anything, including variable names
(user-created variable names), but especially function names (default functions
such as plot() or package-provided functions such ade4's triangle.plot()) and
variable names that are sent to the function (such as mistyping xlab into
plot()).  It will also crash if I call a function from a package that is not
loaded, but I only did this once, so this is NOT the main problem.

It would be better if I just got an error message for each mistake rather than
the whole program crashing :-)

I just got R yesterday and I crashed it at least 50 times over a 4 hour period.
By crash I mean the program stops responding and I either have to force quit it,
or my operating system brings up a popup telling me the program appears to have
"quit unexpectedly" and would I like to restart it.  Since I am using R.app I
don't know if it is R.app that is the problem or the underlying R, sorry!