[Rd] Macintosh R.app crashing (PR#14100)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Dec 2 15:13:28 CET 2009

On Dec 1, 2009, at 12:10 , abstewart2 at bsu.edu wrote:

> Full_Name: Ariel Stewart
> Version: 2.10.0
> OS: Mac OSX Tiger - v10.4.11
> Submission from: (NULL) (147.226.161.33)
>

> R.app crashes whenever I misspell anything, including variable names
> (user-created variable names), but especially function names
> (default functions
> such as plot() or package-provided functions such ade4's
> triangle.plot()) and
> variable names that are sent to the function (such as mistyping xlab
> into
> plot()).  It will also crash if I call a function from a package
> that is not
> loaded, but I only did this once, so this is NOT the main problem.
>
> It would be better if I just got an error message for each mistake
> rather than
> the whole program crashing :-)
>
> I just got R yesterday and I crashed it at least 50 times over a 4
> hour period.
> By crash I mean the program stops responding and I either have to
> force quit it,
> or my operating system brings up a popup telling me the program
> appears to have
> "quit unexpectedly" and would I like to restart it.  Since I am
> using R.app I
> don't know if it is R.app that is the problem or the underlying R,
> sorry!

I would expect you to have the time to start R once given that you
started R.app 50 times ;). If what you say is true it takes 5 seconds
to verify that it crashes at the same point...

Please use the R-SIG-Mac list as you are asked to and supply details
(at the least the crash report, sessionInfo() and version of the GUI).

Thanks,
Simon