[Rd] readCitationFile encoding

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 31 09:01:15 CET 2009

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009, Jens Elkner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody know, how to enforce a certain encoding for
> readCitationFile()? Haven't found any usable documentation for this :(

Really?  From the help file in current versions of R (2.10.1 patched,
R-devel)

      ‘readCitationFile’ make use of the ‘encoding’ element (if any) of
      ‘meta’ to determine the encoding of the file.

so

readCitationFile(basecit, list(encoding="latin1"))

is probably what you are looking for.  And PLEASE do use the
recommended portable encoding names.

> E.g.:
> basecit <- system.file("CITATION", package="base")
> source(basecit, echo=TRUE, encoding="8859-1")
> readCitationFile(basecit)
>
> BTW: 'make check' is a relativ long running task and if one changes
> a source file, all checks are ran again til it gets to the code in
> question (in my case tests/Examples/utils-Ex.Rout.fail). Is there
> a shortcut to jump immediately to the utils tests?

No, but many sections can be suppressed -- see check --help and the
environment variables discussed in the R Internals manual.