[Rd] readCitationFile encoding

Jens Elkner jel+r at cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Dec 31 16:05:16 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 08:01:15AM +0000, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Dec 2009, Jens Elkner wrote:
Hi,

> >does anybody know, how to enforce a certain encoding for
> >readCitationFile()? Haven't found any usable documentation for this :(
>
> Really?

Yes. Well, just started to dive into R and that's probably the problem
(like in old UNIX times), the help aka man pages are very useful and
sufficient, if you know the language/system ... ;-)

> From the help file in current versions of R (2.10.1 patched,
> R-devel)
>
>      ¡readCitationFile¢ make use of the ¡encoding¢ element (if any) of
>      ¡meta¢ to determine the encoding of the file.

Ah - ok, haven't applied the latest release.diff. But anyway, for a
newbie it is not easy to find out, what "meta" is expected to be.

> so
> readCitationFile(basecit, list(encoding="latin1"))

Yepp - with a leading uppercase E it works. Thanx a lot!!! :)

> is probably what you are looking for.  And PLEASE do use the
> recommended portable encoding names.

OT: Wondering, what does "recommended portable encoding names" in this
context mean (e.g. AFAIK 'latin1' is not a standardized name ...).

BTW: Just build R-2.10.1 on Solaris Nevada b129 (x86_64) using its native
iconv facilities in libc and sunperf libs (wrt. BLAS/LAPACK) only. It
works now and all checks are saying, everything is ok.

> >BTW: 'make check' is a relativ long running task and if one changes
> >a source file, all checks are ran again til it gets to the code in
> >question (in my case tests/Examples/utils-Ex.Rout.fail). Is there
> >a shortcut to jump immediately to the utils tests?
>
> No, but many sections can be suppressed -- see check --help and the
> environment variables discussed in the R Internals manual.

Ahh - good hint - help("check") wasn't really fruitful. However,

elkner.idev2 build/R-2.10.1/bin > ./check --help
Can't locate File/Copy/Recursive.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ...

So still need to do a little bit tweaking ...

Anyway, thanx a lot for your quick help!!!,
jel.
--
Otto-von-Guericke University     http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/
Department of Computer Science   Geb. 29 R 027, Universitaetsplatz 2