[Rd] best reference on generics

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Feb 9 10:18:15 CET 2009

    SpG> Hello, All: What would you say is the best succinct
    SpG> reference to cite on use of generic functions,
    SpG> especially S3 generics?

In a very strict sense, S3 generics don't exist;
S4 ones do.
Less strictly, an R function that uses UseMethod() is an
S3-generic.

?UseMethod  is a pretty good reference,
and BTW, contains

>> Note:
>>
>>      This scheme is called _S3_ (S version 3).  For new projects, it is
>>      recommended to use the more flexible and robust _S4_ scheme
>>      provided in the 'methods' package.

[so for a forthcoming book and package, it's pity that S4 had
 not been used...

 Yes, now I go hide before the flames roar at me !
]

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich