[Rd] setClassUnion with numeric; extending class union

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Wed Feb 11 21:39:50 CET 2009

So, I was intrigued and played around a bit more.  Still can't get any
warnings, but the following may be the issue.

One thing NOT currently possible is to have a class that has NULL as its
data part, because type NULL is abnormal and can't have attributes.

So if you want a class that contains a union including NULL, you're in
trouble generating a value from the class that is NULL.  It's not really
a consequence of the setUnion() per se.

 > setClass("bar", contains = "numericOrNULL")
[1] "bar"
 > zz = new("bar", NULL)
Error in validObject(.Object) :
  invalid class "bar" object: invalid object for slot ".Data" in class
"bar": got class "list", should be or extend class "numericOrNULL"

(How one got from the error to the message is a question, but in any
case this can't currently work.)

As in my example and in your example with a slot called "data", no
problem in having a slot value that is NULL.

Looking ahead, I'm working on some extensions that would allow classes
to contain "abnormal" data types (externalptr, environment, ...) by
using a reserved slot name, since one can not make the actual data type
one of those types.