[Rd] setClassUnion with numeric; extending class union

Sklyar, Oleg (London) osklyar at maninvestments.com
Thu Feb 12 10:22:29 CET 2009

Hi John,

sorry for not posting more info. Strangely I get warnings about
setClassUnion with numeric in a very special case: if I define it in a
clean R session then there are no warnings, however if I load a number
of my packages where there are other classes derived from numeric and
exported then I get the following warnings:

> setClassUnion("numericOrNULL", c("numeric","NULL"))
[1] "numericOrNULL"
Warning messages:
1: In .checkSubclasses(class1, classDef, class2, classDef2, where1,  :
  Subclass "TimeDateBase" of class "numeric" is not local and cannot be
updated for new inheritance information; consider setClassUnion()
2: In .checkSubclasses(class1, classDef, class2, classDef2, where1,  :
  Subclass "TimeDate" of class "numeric" is not local and cannot be
updated for new inheritance information; consider setClassUnion()
3: In .checkSubclasses(class1, classDef, class2, classDef2, where1,  :
  Subclass "Time" of class "numeric" is not local and cannot be updated
for new inheritance information; consider setClassUnion()

The class is operational even with those warnings though. Now, the above
classes are defined as follows:

## - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - -
setClass("TimeDateBase",
    representation("numeric", mode="character"),
    prototype(mode="posix")
)

## - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - -
setClass("TimeDate",
    representation("TimeDateBase", tzone="character"),
    prototype(tzone="Europe/London")
)

## - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - -
setClass("Time",
    representation("TimeDateBase")
)

Theses classes work perfectly fine on their own and are used throughout
our code for all possible time and date operations extending the
existing functionality of R and available third party packages by an
order of magnitude. I do not see a relation between the above class
definitions and the newly defined class union though apart from the fact
that they are in a package namespace and therefore locked. Sorry I
cannot provide more source code as the code is not yet public.

It would definitely be nice to somehow have a .Data slot in NULL or even
a data.frame, although I do understand that this is quite a substantial
piece of work to make it all robust and backward compatible.

> sessionInfo() ## of a clean session

R version 2.9.0 Under development (unstable) (2009-02-02 r47821)
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

locale:

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  utils     datasets  grDevices methods   base

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Oleg

Dr Oleg Sklyar