[Rd] R-devel/Linux x64/Sun Studio 12: Problem with Matrix

Thomas Petzoldt Thomas.Petzoldt at TU-Dresden.de
Mon Feb 23 08:21:58 CET 2009

Just for the record:

Thomas Petzoldt wrote:
> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> This seems to be a problem with your OS installation. I have

I tested compilation on another Fedora 10 installation:

1) fresh installation from the installation DVD
(Fedora-10-x86_64-DVD.iso instead of the harddisk installation based on
the the live CD)

2) online patches and updates

3) install of Java 386 packages instead of Java x64 because sunstudio
installer did not run with default Java (was the same with the life CD)

4) downloaded R-devel svn rev 47981; rsync-recommended

5) PATH to sunstudio appended to default PATH in .bashrc;
    config.site like described in R-admin,
    note however that IMHO it should be "suncc"
    instead of "csunc" -- a typo in R-admin.texi ??

6) configure

7) make

=> everything compiled fine with the exception of Matrix which breaks
with exactly the same error message as my former report.

>> gannet% file /lib64/libpthread.so.0
>> /lib64/libpthread.so.0: symbolic link to `libpthread-2.9.so'
>> gannet% file /lib64/libpthread-2.9.so
>> /lib64/libpthread-2.9.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64,
>> version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
>> 2.6.9, not stripped
>>
>> gannet% rpm -q --whatprovides /lib64/libpthread-2.9.so
>> glibc-2.9-3.x86_64

I got exactly the same.

>> and of course building (current) Matrix works for me.

Not yet for me with Sun Studio 12; however everything was fine when
switching back to the Gnu compilers.

As said, just for the record. The installation was intended for checking
our own packages which now compile well with both compilers.

> Dear Prof. Ripley,
>
> O.K. thanks for your quick answer, its good to know that its not an
> obvious error in config.site. Maybe it's because I started from a rather
> minimal Fedora version, so I'll try to fix my installation.
>
> Thank you
>
> Thomas P.

Thomas P.

--