[Rd] In Rd: \describe \itemize and \item

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Jan 30 04:14:11 CET 2009

On 29/01/2009 5:22 PM, Nicholas L Crookston wrote:
> I rebuilt a test version of my yaImpute package using Uwe Ligges' windows
> build service.
> I got this reply: Check result: OK
> R version 2.9.0 Under development (unstable) (2009-01-27 r47756)
>
> Here is the issue: I have the following construct in help files (this
> example relates to "data"):
>
> \format{
>   A data frame with 847 rows and 29 columns: \cr\cr
>   Ground based measurements of trees (Y-variables):
>   \itemize{
>      \item{TopHt}{Height of tallest trees (ft)}
>      \item{LnVolL}{Log of the volume \eqn{(ft^3/acre)} of western larch}
>  ...... many lines deleted ......
>      \item{LnVolPP}{Log of the volume \eqn{(ft^3/acre)} of ponderosa pine}
>      \item{CCover}{Canopy cover (percent)}
>   }
>   Geographic Location, Slope, and Aspect (X-variables):
>   \itemize{
>     \item{utmx}{UTM easting at plot center}
>     \item{utmy}{UTM northing at plot center}
> ...... many lines deleted ......
>     \item{elevm}{Mean elevation (ft) above sea level over plot}
>     \item{slpsinaspm}{Mean of slope (proportion) times the sine of aspect}
>   }
> ...... many lines deleted ......
> }
>
> What I get in the help file is:
> =========================
> Format  <this word is set in bold, correctly>
> A data frame with 847 rows and 29 columns:
>
> Ground based measurements of trees (Y-variables):
>
>    TopHt
>       Height of tallest trees (ft)
>    LnVolL
>       Log of the volume (ft^3/acre) of western larch
> ========================= ......and so on........
> [I've inserted 3 spaces to mimic tabs in this illustration]
>
> I would expect (and I used to get) something like this:
> =========================
> Ground based measurements of trees (Y-variables):
>
>  <bullet here>  TopHt   Height of tallest trees (ft)
>  <bullet here>  LnVolL  Log of the volume (ft^3/acre) of western larch
> =========================
>
> Note that in version 2.6.2 (under SuSE 10.3) this code fails the check,
> but my original code worked.
>
> The entire issue came up in reference to Kurt Hornik's recent mail that we
> get our help files ready for the next release of R.
>
> My current production help files work, but do not comply with the
> instructions as I understand them and fail the check on the development
> versions. I'm not sure I have fixed them correctly, but I'm trying!
>
> Suggestions?  Comments?

I think we need more info to comment on.  Is this file one of the ones
in the yaImpute package on CRAN, or is it unreleased?  Is the Rd file
available for us to look at?  Does the man page look different in 2.8.1
from what you expect (there haven't been serious changes there), or only
in R-devel (2.9.0)?  2.6.2 is pretty old, but I don't think any of the
requested changes should be incompatible with it.

Duncan Murdoch