[Rd] In Rd: \describe \itemize and \item

Nicholas L Crookston ncrookston at fs.fed.us
Fri Jan 30 20:22:46 CET 2009

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote on 01/29/2009 07:14:11 PM:

> On 29/01/2009 5:22 PM, Nicholas L Crookston wrote:
> > I rebuilt a test version of my yaImpute package using Uwe Ligges'
windows
> > build service.
> > I got this reply: Check result: OK
> > R version 2.9.0 Under development (unstable) (2009-01-27 r47756)
> >
> > Here is the issue: I have the following construct in help files (this
> > example relates to "data"):
> >
> > \format{
> >   A data frame with 847 rows and 29 columns: \cr\cr
> >   Ground based measurements of trees (Y-variables):
> >   \itemize{
> >      \item{TopHt}{Height of tallest trees (ft)}
> >      \item{LnVolL}{Log of the volume \eqn{(ft^3/acre)} of western
larch}
> >  ...... many lines deleted ......
> >      \item{LnVolPP}{Log of the volume \eqn{(ft^3/acre)} of ponderosa
pine}
> >      \item{CCover}{Canopy cover (percent)}
> >   }
> >   Geographic Location, Slope, and Aspect (X-variables):
> >   \itemize{
> >     \item{utmx}{UTM easting at plot center}
> >     \item{utmy}{UTM northing at plot center}
> > ...... many lines deleted ......
> >     \item{elevm}{Mean elevation (ft) above sea level over plot}
> >     \item{slpsinaspm}{Mean of slope (proportion) times the sine of
aspect}
> >   }
> > ...... many lines deleted ......
> > }
> >
> > What I get in the help file is:
> > =========================
> > Format  <this word is set in bold, correctly>
> > A data frame with 847 rows and 29 columns:
> >
> > Ground based measurements of trees (Y-variables):
> >
> >    TopHt
> >       Height of tallest trees (ft)
> >    LnVolL
> >       Log of the volume (ft^3/acre) of western larch
> > ========================= ......and so on........
> > [I've inserted 3 spaces to mimic tabs in this illustration]
> >
> > I would expect (and I used to get) something like this:
> > =========================
> > Ground based measurements of trees (Y-variables):
> >
> >  <bullet here>  TopHt   Height of tallest trees (ft)
> >  <bullet here>  LnVolL  Log of the volume (ft^3/acre) of western larch
> > =========================
> >

> I think we need more info to comment on.  Is this file one of the ones
> in the yaImpute package on CRAN, or is it unreleased?  Is the Rd file
> available for us to look at?  Does the man page look different in 2.8.1
> from what you expect (there haven't been serious changes there), or only
> in R-devel (2.9.0)?  2.6.2 is pretty old, but I don't think any of the
> requested changes should be incompatible with it.

> Duncan Murdoch

The problem is in an unreleased version built in the development
environment.
The entire unreleased package can be found at this temporary location:
http://forest.moscowfsl.wsu.edu/gems/yaImpute_1.0-8.tar.gz

The original is on CRAN (version 1.0-7). It worked under the old parser,
but
not using parser 2 (the warnings on CRAN point to the problem).
You can see the difference by looking at TallyLake.Rd
in the two versions. I would be happy to send you just these files if
you'd
like me to.

Note that text version of the help file builds as I expect it to.
The problem is in the htlm version.

PS: I tried two versions of \items
    \item{utmx}{UTM easting at plot center}
and
    \item{utmx   }{UTM easting at plot center}
(note added spaces, added for readability of the Rd file
this difference does not seem to matter.)

Thanks, Nick