[Rd] Side-effects of require() vs library() on x86_64 aka amd64

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jan 31 05:38:53 CET 2009

On 28 January 2009 at 22:26, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

| RDieHarder fails its regression tests on x86_64 (aka "amd64") at CRAN (using
| Debian), and I see the same on Ubuntu 8.10 in 64 bit.  No issues on 32bit.
|
| One odd thing is that the program behaves well if run via
|
|     R --no-save < tests/RDieHarder.R
|
| but NOT when started using
|
|     R --slave < tests/RDieHarder.R
|
| as R CMD check does.

Turns out, as so often, that there was a regular bug lurking which is now
fixed in RDieHarder 0.1.1.  But I still would like to understand exactly what
is different so that --slave was able to trigger it when --vanilla,
--no-save, ... did not.

[ The library() vs require() issue may have been a red herring. ]

Dirk