[Rd] Rcmd check fails on Windows Samba network path in R 2.9.1

Kevin R. Coombes krcoombes at mdacc.tmc.edu
Mon Jul 20 20:11:58 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have just updated R from version 2.8.1 to version 2.9.1.  I am running
Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3.

With the update, I decided to update a set of packages that I maintain
by compiling them for the new version.  Everything worked fine except
for one package.  This package is unique (among the six I was working
on) in that is stored on a UNIX-based file server that is exported to
the Windows network via Samba.  The root of that network path is mapped
to drive "N:" on the local machine.

'Rcmd check' fails for this package under 2.9.1.  The error message in
'00install.out'  is:
"Error: ERROR: no permission to install to directory
'N:/krc/Umpire/R-Package/Umpire.Rcheck'"

'Rcmd check' works for this package under 2.8.1.

'Rcmd check' works for this package if the directory is copied onto a
local hard drive instead of the network drive.

'Rcmd build' and 'Rcmd build --binary' work under both versions.

It would be nice if someone could figure out what has changed and fix it....

Best,
    Kevin Coombes