[Rd] Rcmd check fails on Windows Samba network path in R 2.9.1

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Mon Jul 20 23:07:22 CEST 2009

This error message looks like it comes from
src/library/tools/R/install.R, which contains the following test:

    if (!.file_test("-d", lib) || file.access(lib, 2L))
        stop("ERROR: no permission to install to directory ",
             sQuote(lib), call. = FALSE)

The function .file_test() is defined earlier in the same file (it looks
at file.info(lib)$isdir) and appears to be intended to be the same as
utils:::file_test().

You could start trying to figure out what the problem is by trying these
calls on the directory in question from an interactive R session.
(They seem to work as intended on my Windows system with a NetApp file
system mounted on a letter drive.)

-- Tony Plate