[Rd] Rcmd check fails on Windows Samba network path in R 2.9.1

Kevin R. Coombes krcoombes at mdacc.tmc.edu
Tue Jul 21 13:55:06 CEST 2009

Hi,

The problem almost certainly has something to do with Samba.  We also
have a NetApp file system, and copying the package source to that drive
and running Rcmd check from Windows works just fine.

When running the commands from an interactive R session, file_test
returns TRUE and file.access to test write permission indicates a
failure, even though that information is incorrect.Here is a session
transcript:

 > getwd()
[1] "n:/krc/Umpire/R-Package"
 > lib <- "Umpire.Rcheck"
 > file_test("-d", lib)
[1] TRUE
 > file.access(lib, 2)
Umpire.Rcheck
           -1
 > dir.create(paste(lib, "testdir", sep='/'))
 > dir(lib)
[1] "00check.log"   "00install.out" "testdir"
 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.9.1 (2009-06-26)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
Again, this all worked (and still works) correctly in 2.8.1.

    Kevin