[Rd] r-devel tarball build failure on windows

Hiroyuki Kawakatsu hkawakat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 18:00:14 CET 2009

On 3/10/09, Uwe Ligges wrote:

>  Peter Dalgaard wrote:
>
> > Uwe Ligges wrote:

> > > 1. Have you asked make rsync-recommended before (i.e. are the packages
> > > actually there)?

No, I did not run make rsync-recommended. I never had to before when
building from a tarball. And, yes, the packages were there (both
.tar.gz and .tgz but not .ts). But as Peter points out below, the
symlinks were probably corrupted.

> > > 2. If so, please install the cygwin dlls and try to remove cygwin from
> > > your path. The may very well be some version conflicts in I cannot build
> > > R / R packages if a full cygwin installation is around.

I did install them but they looked identical to the ones I have from
cygwin. So I removed them before building.

> > > Uwe Ligges
> >
> > This bit apjaworski last week, but the naughty boy didn't include
> > R-devel in the discussion....
> >
> > It boils down to problems with symlink handling. You unpack the tar file
> > and the .tgz links look like ordinary files with strange contents to
> > other tools.
> >
> > The workaround is to run
> >
> > make Rpwd.exe
> > make link-recommended
> >
> > (or, maybe, to unpack with a different tar version, but I really don't
> > know).

Many thanks for this. Once I run these two, -make all recommended- and
-make check- completes as expected (still with cygwin on my path). So
when you say "workaround", is there something wrong with my tools or
the tarball or ...?

>  Ah, sure, thanks, I always build from svn sources and hence say
>
>  make rsync-recommended
>  make recommended
>
>  If you omit
>   make rsync-recommended
>  you will need at least
>   make link-recommended
>  which is in fact the same but without the rsync step.
[...]

When I last built R-devel from the tarball on windows (when Rtools29
was identical to Rtools28), -make all recommended- as given in the
R-admin manual "just worked". So I did not think of running these
additional makes. (The R-admin manual does say to run make
link-recommended if you are not using the tarball.)

By the way, I noticed that -make all recommended- still builds the CHM
help files for certain packages (e.g. Matrix) even though I set
USE_CHM=FALSE in MkRules. Is this expected?

Thanks for all your help.
h.
--
+---