[Rd] Auto-upgrading a package under Windows ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon May 18 21:55:13 CEST 2009

I was trying to be cute with a company-internal package and used

    if (Sys.info()["sysname"]=="Windows") {
        update.packages(repos="http://some.where.internal/R", ask=FALSE)
    }

but that of course fails as the package itself is loaded and cannot be
upgraded (as it contains a dll) when loaded.  Smart move by the OS.

Can anybody suggest a workaround, other than introducing a dll-free wrapper
package that can in fact test for the local packages before it would load
them?

Placing the test into Rprofile.site is not a valid answer as that file is
hiding on each user's drive and out of my reach.

Dirk