[Rd] [R] step by step debugger in R?

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Sat May 23 18:55:19 CEST 2009

Hi,
  I stripped the cc's as I believe that all read this list.

Romain Francois wrote:
> [moving this to r-devel]
>
> Robert Gentleman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Romain Francois wrote:

>>> [I've copied Mark Bravington and Robert Gentleman to the list as they
>>> are likely to have views here, and I am not sure they monitor R-help]
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Making a front-end to debugging was one of the proposed google summer of
>>> code for this year [1], it was not retained eventually, but I am still
>>> motivated.
>>>
>>> Pretty much all infrastructure is there, and some work has been done
>>> __very recently__ in R's debugging internals (ability to step up). As I
>>> see it, the ability to call some sort of hook each time the debugger
>>> waits for input would make it much easier for someone to write
>>>

>>  I have still not come to an understanding of what this is supposed to
>> do? When
>> you have the browser prompt you can call any function or code you want
>> to. There
>> is no need for something special to allow you to do that.
>>
> Sure. What I have in mind is something that gets __automatically__
> called, similar to the task callback but happening right before the user
> is given the browser prompt.

 I am trying to understand the scenario you have in mind. Is it that the user is
running R directly and your debugger is essentially a helper function that gets
updated etc as R runs?

 If so, then I don't think that works very well and given the constraints we
have with R I don't think it will be able to solve many of the problems that an
IDE should.  The hook you want will give you some functionality, but no where
near enough.

 Let me suggest instead that the IDE should be running the show. It should
initialize an instance of R, but it controls all communication and hence
controls what is rendered on the client side.  If that is what you mean by
embedding R, then yes that is what is needed. There is no way that I can see to
support most of the things that IDE type debuggers support without the IDE
controlling the communication with R.

 And if I am wrong about what your debugger will look like please let me know.

 best wishes
   Robert

--
Robert Gentleman, PhD