[Rd] [R] step by step debugger in R?

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Sun May 24 10:18:17 CEST 2009

Robert Gentleman wrote:
> Hi,
>   I stripped the cc's as I believe that all read this list.
>
> Romain Francois wrote:
>
>> [moving this to r-devel]
>>
>> Robert Gentleman wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>>  I have still not come to an understanding of what this is supposed to
>>> do? When
>>> you have the browser prompt you can call any function or code you want
>>> to. There
>>> is no need for something special to allow you to do that.
>>>

>> Sure. What I have in mind is something that gets __automatically__
>> called, similar to the task callback but happening right before the user
>> is given the browser prompt.
>>

>  I am trying to understand the scenario you have in mind. Is it that the user is
> running R directly and your debugger is essentially a helper function that gets
> updated etc as R runs?

yes. there are now several ui toolkits that could be use to give some
sort of graphical representation of what is being debugged.

I agree with you that and IDE should command R and not the other way
around, but I am not (yet) here talking about a fully featured IDE, but
simply a debugger.

I need to read more about embedding R (as in section 8 of WRE). I know
you can supply your own implementation of the REPL, but I am not sure
this includes the one that goes on once trapped into the browser. For
example littler ships its own REPL, but this does not seem to fool/deal
with browser:

$ r -e "print(1:10); browser(); print(1:5) "
 [1]  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
Called from: NULL
 [1]  1  2  3  4  5

Not sure this is an omission of Jeffrey and Dirk or something else.

>  If so, then I don't think that works very well and given the constraints we
> have with R I don't think it will be able to solve many of the problems that an
> IDE should.  The hook you want will give you some functionality, but no where
> near enough.

In the long run, I do agree. In the short run, I'd prefer taking the bus
to the airport rather than walk.

--
Romain Francois
Independent R Consultant