[Rd] Request: bring back windows chm help support (PR#14034)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Nov 3 16:00:38 CET 2009

On 11/3/2009 9:49 AM, Michael Dewey wrote:
> At 10:02 03/11/2009, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
> Comment in line below
>

>>Duncan gave the definitive answer in an earlier reply: the active R
>>developers are no longer willing to support CHM help.  It is not
>>open for discussion, period.
>>
>>But three comments to ponder (but not discuss).
>>
>>(a) CHM is unusable for many of us.  A year or two ago Microsoft
>>disabled it on non-local drives via a Windows patch because of
>>security risks -- overnight it simply failed to work (no error, no
>>warning, just no response) in our computer labs.  And this year CERT
>>issued a serious advisory on the CHM compiler that Microsoft has not
>>fixed (and apparently is not going to) -- so many of us are banned
>>from having it on a networked machine by company policy.
>>
>>(b) CHM support was in the sources at the beginning of the 2.10.0
>>alpha testing.  Not one user asked for it at that point, let alone
>>compiled it up and tested it.  Since no one asked for it (not what
>>we had anticipated), the sources were cleaned up.
>>
>>The main consultation over R development is the making available of
>>development versions for users to test out.
>>
>>(c) We did ask for support for cross-compliation before removing it
>>(https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2009-January/051864.html):
>>no one responded but two shameless users months later whinged about
>>its removal on this list.  That has left a sour taste and zero
>>enthusiasm for supporting things that no one is prepared even to
>>write in about when asked.  Ask not what the R developers can do for
>>you, but what you can do for R development (and faithful alpha/beta
>>testing would be a start).
>
> What would be involved in testing such versions? Do you want people
> who are just regular users with limited computing skills like me, or
> users living on the cutting edge of computational statistics?

I don't know what Brian would say, but I would like to see both of the
above groups testing, and familiar with the changes that are coming.
All you need to do is to download and install a test version and see if
anything goes wrong on your system.

 > At what
> stage in the process do pre-compiled versions (for Windows) come in?
> Is there somewhere I should have looked this up?

There are announcements in the r-announce group when alpha or beta
versions are about to be released, but you can download the r-devel
builds any time to see what sort of things are going on, or subscribe to
the RSS feed of NEWS changes to it.

The main problem with watching R-devel is that often it contains
incomplete code, and some decisions aren't finalized until the end of
the alpha testing period.  So please don't report things as bugs or
expect everything to be in its final state, but do point out things that
are causing problems.

Duncan Murdoch