[Rd] Help with testing (was Re: Request: bring back windows chm help support)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 3 21:53:47 CET 2009

Duncan has echoed my thoughts.  Just to add: Windows users also need
to monitor the CHANGES file (also available on an RSS feed).

The things that we find hardest to check by automated testing are the
installation process and GUI elements: we do only minimal testing in
languages other English: Windows users routinely using test versions
in the DBCS languages (Japanese, Korean, Simplified and Traditional
Chinese) would be particularly beneficial, but so too would users of
European languages on any platform.

E.g. it needs no special skills to notice that the installer gave you
text help when you asked for HTML help.  Yet no one reported it until
after release.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk