[Rd] Removing cran mirrors

Friedrich Leisch friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Nov 3 17:05:49 CET 2009

  >> Fritz does that from time to time. Note that this is always rather
  >> cumbersome: trying to contact maintainers whose addresses do not exist any
  >> more and so on.

  > I'd be more draconian - if the mirror doesn't update for two weeks,
  > just cut it off automatically.  If they want to get back on the list,
  > it's their problem.  It shouldn't be Fritz's problem!

Well, then we would have to create "two classes" of mirrors: If ETH
Zürich goes down I'd prefer to inform Martin Mächler that there is a
problem rather than cutting off automatically (same for a lot of
others).

But note that the list of "monitored mirrors" is a superset of the list
of "listed mirrors": The first real problem mirror.cricyt.edu.ar is not
in the list of mirrors at http://cran.r-project.org/mirrors.html (and
what you get when you are online and select a mirror via GUI). Same
for all the other very bad ones. It is a simple Flag "use mirror" in the
master table, which is used both by R itself and the scripts creating
the webpages (which run fully automated).

Best,
Fritz