[Rd] Removing cran mirrors

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Tue Nov 3 17:34:22 CET 2009

> Well, then we would have to create "two classes" of mirrors: If ETH
> Zürich goes down I'd prefer to inform Martin Mächler that there is a
> problem rather than cutting off automatically (same for a lot of
> others).

Oh, good point.

> But note that the list of "monitored mirrors" is a superset of the list
> of "listed mirrors": The first real problem mirror.cricyt.edu.ar is not
> in the list of mirrors at http://cran.r-project.org/mirrors.html (and
> what you get when you are online and select a mirror via GUI). Same
> for all the other very bad ones. It is a simple Flag "use mirror" in the
> master table, which is used both by R itself and the scripts creating
> the webpages (which run fully automated).

Ok, that makes sense.

But would it be possible to make available the resources of the
monitoring script in a machine readable form?  It would be very useful
to help suggest to people what mirror they should use - i.e.
automatically select one that is both fast (for them) and is updated
regularly.

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/