[Rd] Setting a mirror "permanently" on R on ubuntu (PR#13995)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Oct 10 15:53:28 CEST 2009

On 10 October 2009 at 05:55, lmramba at gmail.com wrote:
| Dear all,
|
| I seem to have many problems as I run R on my ubuntu system.
| want to set a mirror so that anytime I use the command "install.packages",
| it does not ask me for which mirror to use but go direct.
| This is because of the error I keep on getting below and I dont know how to
| solve it.

Can you _please stop abusing the bug tracking system_ by asking these
beginner questions?

This is answered, inter alia, in

     help(install.packages)   # telling you about option("repos")
     help(options)	      # telling you about the repos option
     help(Startup)	      # telling you about R's inits

as well as the different manuals.

Also, see one of the emails I just sent you for the concrete example:

     edd at joe:~$ cat .Rprofile
     options("width"=160)
     #options("pdfviewer"="kpdf")
     # as in AER by Zeileis and Kleiber
     options(prompt="R> ", digits=4, show.signif.stars=FALSE)
     options("repos"="http://cran.us.r-project.org")    ## US mirror

Lastly, *please* switch to r-sig-debian for help with your Debian / Ubuntu
system and stop abusing the r-devel list and the bug tracker.

Dirk