[Rd] R on Google Android

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Oct 12 04:38:28 CEST 2009

On Oct 11, 2009, at 9:17 PM, Mikkel Meyer Andersen wrote:

> Simon,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> Do you have a link describing the procedure on compiling for iPhone
> or is it really just ready out of the box?

You can compile R itself (libR) out of the box just using regular
cross-compilation. The only issue are packages with native libraries -
the easiest way is to create a multi-arch R so that the non-libs parts
are actually built on the native architecture. For anything
troublesome your can then also use R --arch=arm CMD SHLIB. This is
really more a proof of concept since you're still missing a command
line as there is no shell or ssh or normal iPhones but you could hook
it into any GUI ..

Of course as my old post on R-SIG-Mac on the topic says we don't have
plans to use UIKit, but that's probably not that relevant for you
anyway.

Cheers,
Simon