[Rd] R on Google Android

Mikkel Meyer Andersen r at mikl.dk
Mon Oct 12 04:47:20 CEST 2009

Simon,

2009/10/12 Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org>:

> On Oct 11, 2009, at 9:17 PM, Mikkel Meyer Andersen wrote:
>
>> Simon,
>>
>> Thanks for your answer.
>>
>> Do you have a link describing the procedure on compiling for iPhone or is
>> it really just ready out of the box?
>
> You can compile R itself (libR) out of the box just using regular
> cross-compilation. The only issue are packages with native libraries - the
> easiest way is to create a multi-arch R so that the non-libs parts are
> actually built on the native architecture. For anything troublesome your can
> then also use R --arch=arm CMD SHLIB. This is really more a proof of concept
> since you're still missing a command line as there is no shell or ssh or
> normal iPhones but you could hook it into any GUI ..
Thanks. That is the main goal to have the base. I don't' want a mobile
version to be a substitute for normal desktop usage, but merely just
for quick tasks as finding quantiles, eigenvalues, multiplying
matrices or whatever when no desktop computer is nearby.

I've found a few other links that seem interesting, so I'll give it a
try and inform you if I succeed.

Cheers, Mikkel.