[Rd] [R] R and GNU gcc for OpenMP

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Sep 2 12:43:56 CEST 2009

Debabrata Midya wrote:
> Dear R users,
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> I am using R 2.9.1 on Windows XP.
>
> May I request you to assist me on the following:
>
> I have downloaded Rtools29.exe and installed it today 02 Sep 2009 and I have also provided the appropriate path variable for Rtools.
>
> I have checked the version of gcc compiler in Rtools.exe is 4.2.1.
>
> I have checked (in  http://gcc.gnu.org/) the latest available gcc compiler is 4.4.1. My objective is to use latest gnu gcc for openMP and I like to link it to R (by creating *.dll).
>
> How can I use latest version of gcc for openMP? And at the same time I like to use Rtools as well.

I have moved this response to the R-devel mailing list, it's not really
appropriate for R-help.

Generally speaking the compiler used for a .dll need not be the same one
used for the rest of an application, so R won't care if you work out how
to use gcc 4.4.1 to build your dll.  However:

  - The scripts for building packages are written and tested against gcc
4.2.1; you may need to tweak them to work with a different compiler.
  - As far as I know, there's no gcc 4.4.1 available for Windows, but
4.4.0 is available on the MinGW site.  So if you really need 4.4.1 you
may need to compile it yourself.

So this is a pretty difficult project.   You can ask on the R-devel
mailing list for help, but there aren't many people who will be able to
help you, so you may be pretty much on your own.

Duncan Murdoch