[Rd] Non-GPL packages for R

Kurt Hornik Kurt.Hornik at wu.ac.at
Fri Sep 11 17:25:33 CEST 2009

> The responses to my posting yesterday seem to indicate more consensus
> than I expected:
> 1) CRAN should be restricted to GPL-equivalent licensed packages
> 2) r-forge could be left "buyer beware" using DESCRIPTION information
> 3) We may want a specific repository for restricted packages (RANC?)

> How to proceed? A short search on Rseek did not turn up a chain of
> command for CRAN.

I thought I had already explained the last time the GPL-only suggestion
came up that this will not happen for CRAN.

But again: we have invested considerable time into getting the license
specs standardized, and writing code to compute on these.  Time
permitting, R 2.10.0 will feature code that allows specifying license
filters which can be customized according to individuals' needs.  But I
see no point in physically representing one particular license profile.

Btw, there are less non-free packages on CRAN than packages which claim
to be free but have non-free installation dependencies: some would argue
that the latter is impossible from a license perspective.  I feel little
desire to start arguing about this, as being able to control package
installation by license filters will resolve matters anyway.

-k