[Rd] Non-GPL packages for R

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Sep 11 18:43:38 CEST 2009

On 11 September 2009 at 12:19, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
| One complication is that its possible that a package can use a non-free
| component but can also be used without it.  The fame package could
| be used with fame or without fame for a long time but more recently the
| non-fame portion was factored out into the tis package.  The VhayuR
| package is similar in that it can be used without Vhayu.  In that case it
| can use flat files instead of the Vhayu database.

So in cases where a package used to not build with 'freely available' (and
preferably available as Debian packages) tools but does so now we welcome
hints so that we can update the blacklist.  All it does, really, is to save a
few cpu cycles when we have the expectation that 'R CMD INSTALL' is almost
surely going to fail.

Dirk