[Rd] Windows Laptop specification query

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 28 10:16:23 CEST 2009

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009, Sean O'Riordain wrote:

> Good morning Keith,
>
> Have a look at
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#There-seems-to-be-a-limit-on-the-memory-it-uses_0021
>
> The short answer is that "it depends"...
> a) memory is limited under windows

Yes, but 64-bit builds can be used on Windows -- that needs commercial
compilers and there are commercial vendors of such builds.

Even with the CRAN binary, a 64-bit version of Windows offers double
the memory over a (vanilla) 32-bit version.

> b) R is essentially a serial program - HOWEVER it depends what you're
> actually doing - if you're working with large matrices then there are
> parallel versions of BLAS that can be used...  On a multi-core windows
> machine with lots of memory you can of course run up multiple copies of R
> and run each independently

There are several packages that parallelize their computations with
MPI etc, and others that help with parallelization (papply, foreach,
gputools, ....).  And apart from Rmpi/rpvm/snow there is also
'multicore', but not on Windows.  See the R-sig-hpc list for follow up
on such issues.

As for Vista vs Windows 7, this is not the right list but Windows 7
behaves just like a version of Vista as far as we have explored it
(and the current rw-FAQ includes it and Server 2008 in the Vista
section).

Many of us have bought dual quad-core servers in the last year or so:
that includes Uwe Ligges' winbuilder machine.  I suspect most of the
usage is separate R jobs running simultaneously: certainly that is the
case in my dept (where there are at least 6 8-core servers running R
jobs).