[Rd] Windows Laptop specification query

Corrado ct529 at york.ac.uk
Mon Sep 28 11:44:06 CEST 2009

1) Would a package compiled for Windows 32bit run on Windows 64 bit and use
the extended memory or not?

2) As for buying a performant laptop for R, I bought a Dell M6300 mobile
workstation which is actually portable, and installed Kubuntu 904 64 bit
alongside the standard windows installation. When I run R I only use it in
Linux and access the data in Windows through the file system. If I need to run
Office because some one else is sending me document to correct, I have installed
Windows XP Pro SP3 in a virtual machine using Virtual Box, which runs very
fairly on the M6300, and can switch it on and off whenever I need (booting on
the virtual machine is matter of few seconds). This setup allows for running
64 bit R on Linux (eventually compiled with -O3 -march=native by the way, if
you feel like experimenting) which is more performant and used the memory more
efficiently, without loosing the interacting with your windows based colleagues.
The virtual machine can go full screen at the click of a mouse :D and it looks
as if you were using a native Windows machine. You can install all software
and network clients on the virtual machine. I have not booted Windows for ages
.... I have been using this machine fort he last 18 months. The dual core
works great (I chose the top processor to run simulations when I am not in the
office), and in Linux you can control the CPU frequency. The new one which
substitutes the M6300 is the M6400 and I would go for that possibly (Linux
supported):

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/business/Laptops/workstation-precision-m6400-
cov/pd.aspx?refid=workstation-precision-m6400-cov&s=bsd&cs=ukbsdt1

PS: I apologise for the question on memory management but I have never used R
on Windows but some free spirit decided to release a package only for Windows
and only pre compiled (no sources) and I need to use it to compare .... (Sorry
for the harsh comment and the rant , but I am not sure it is really fair to
use an open source packages and programming languages for you daily work and
make money out of it, and the first time you release something you release it
crappy and closed source .... even if it is legal and allowed of course .... :
( ....)