[Rd] One possible cause for incorrect symbols in X11() output

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 19 13:04:06 CEST 2010

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, peter dalgaard wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Jari Oksanen wrote:
>

>> The X11(type = 'cairo') shows the problem with example(points);
>> TestChars(font=5). However, there is no problem with the default device
>> (quartz), nor with the default X11() which has type = 'Xlib' (unlike
>> documented in ?X11: 'cairo' is available but 'Xlib' still used).
>>
>> What ever this is worth of (if this is worthless, I'll surely hear about
>> it).
>
> Well, maybe not worthless, but the X11 setup on Mac is poor in
> general. type="Xlib" appears plainly not to work, and even
> disregarding the pi issue, the rotated y-axis labels come out pretty
> ugly. This is why quartz is now the default on OSX.

The even more serious issue under cairo of confusing style and weight
is discussed on ?X11.

> BTW, it seems that the standard X11 "Symbol","Regular" font is
> simply absent on OSX. I can't get fc-match to list it, anyway.

R's X11(type='cairo') device is using a version of cairographics
compiled by Simon which includes a static build of fontconfig.  So it
is not really 'OSX'!  I'm guessing you are using
/usr/local/bin/fc-match which AFAIK also Simon's.

It is also not using pango, and so not selecting fonts the same way as
on Linux.