[Rd] [R] textbox in lattice

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jun 9 03:41:53 CEST 2010

Hi

On 6/6/2010 11:20 PM, baptiste auguie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just added width/heightDetails methods following Paul's
> suggestion. I kept a duplicate of all on-the-fly grob size
> calculations; it is necessary to ensure that the table cells adjust to
> the content which can be subsequently edited (e.g changing the
> colnames to plotmath expressions). Drawing the full iris dataset (150
> x 5) takes 12 seconds when it was 8 seconds before. It is still
> reasonable; I don't think anyone would want to use it for huge tables
> anyway.
>
> Out of curiosity, could drawDetails and height/widthDetails be altered
> to share some information (thereby avoiding such duplication of
> calculations at drawing time), or do they have to be completely
> independent in the implementation?

In theory, you could cache information from drawing (such as where on
the device you drew), but this would have to be updated if the device is
resized (or output is copied between devices) and there is no general
infrastructure to support that at the moment.

PLUS width/height calculations can be performed independently of
drawing.  I might want to position some output based on where a grob
WOULD be drawn, but without actually drawing the grob.  So it would not
be safe, for example, for widthDetails() to assume that drawDetails()
had previously been called.

These are not insurmountable problems;  they are just examples to show
that the implementation would be non-trivial.

Paul

--
Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics