[Rd] Question on trying to build R 2.11.1 on Tru64(aka OSF1) system

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 9 07:44:18 CEST 2010

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> Ah, so configure has chosen /bin/ksh as the shell, and that does not
>> like this sh syntax on your system.  Try setting R_SHELL=/bin/sh when
>> configuring (or the path to bash, if you have that).
>>
>> Alternatively, use ${1+@} in Rcmd.in (we have that as a workaround in
>> R.sh.in).
>
> We even do it using @OSF_SH_BUG@, which would probably be a good idea to
> clone in Rcmd.in.

Already done in R-devel.  But the argument is whether we should
complicate R (and risk breaking currently working setups) or expect
people with broken tools to replace them.  Certainly for AIX (where sh
is zsh and this workaround does not work) it is necessary to set
R_SHELL to bash.

> On the other hand, the use of ${@} in Rcmd.in goes
> back to at least 2002, which is a bit puzzling. Did OSF really not get
> tested since then??

No: PR#9365 (which I fixed via @OSF_SH_BUG@) was in 2006 -- I think
that was the last report and long after any other.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk