[Rd] shash in unique.c

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Mar 5 12:55:32 CET 2010

Matthew Dowle wrote:
> I was hoping for a 'yes', 'no', 'maybe' or 'bad idea because ...'. No
> response resulted in a retry() after a Sys.sleep(10 days).
>
> If its a "yes" or "maybe" then I could proceed to try it, test it, and
> present the test results and timings to you along with the patch.  It would
> be on 32bit Ubuntu first, and I would need to either buy, rent time on, or
> borrow a 64bit machine to be able to then test there, owing to the nature of
> the suggestion.
>
> If its "no", "bad idea because..." or "we were already working on it, or
> better",  then I won't spend any more time on it.
>
> Matthew
>

> "Matthew Dowle" <mdowle at mdowle.plus.com> wrote in message
> news:hlu4qh$l7s$1 at dough.gmane.org...
>
>> Looking at shash in unique.c, from R-2.10.1  I'm wondering if it makes
>> sense to hash the pointer itself rather than the string it points to?
>> In other words could the SEXP pointer be cast to unsigned int and the
>> usual scatter be called on that as if it were integer?

Two negative but probably not fatal issues:

Pointers and ints are not always the same size.  In Win64, ints are 32
bits, pointers are 64 bits.  (Can we be sure there is some integer type
the same size as a pointer?  I don't know, ask a C expert.)

We might want to save the hash to disk.  On restore, the pointer based
hash would be all wrong.  (I don't know if we actually do ever save a
hash to disk.  )

Duncan Murdoch