[Rd] shash in unique.c

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Fri Mar 5 13:40:42 CET 2010

Thanks a lot.  Quick and brief responses below...

"Duncan Murdoch" <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote in message
news:4B90F134.6070004 at stats.uwo.ca...
> Matthew Dowle wrote:
>> I was hoping for a 'yes', 'no', 'maybe' or 'bad idea because ...'. No
>> response resulted in a retry() after a Sys.sleep(10 days).
>>
>> If its a "yes" or "maybe" then I could proceed to try it, test it, and
>> present the test results and timings to you along with the patch.  It
>> would be on 32bit Ubuntu first, and I would need to either buy, rent time
>> on, or borrow a 64bit machine to be able to then test there, owing to the
>> nature of the suggestion.
>>
>> If its "no", "bad idea because..." or "we were already working on it, or
>> better",  then I won't spend any more time on it.
>>
>> Matthew
>>

>> "Matthew Dowle" <mdowle at mdowle.plus.com> wrote in message
>> news:hlu4qh$l7s$1 at dough.gmane.org...
>>
>>> Looking at shash in unique.c, from R-2.10.1  I'm wondering if it makes
>>> sense to hash the pointer itself rather than the string it points to?
>>> In other words could the SEXP pointer be cast to unsigned int and the
>>> usual scatter be called on that as if it were integer?
>>>
> Two negative but probably not fatal issues:
>
> Pointers and ints are not always the same size.  In Win64, ints are 32
> bits, pointers are 64 bits.  (Can we be sure there is some integer type
> the same size as a pointer?  I don't know, ask a C expert.)
No we can't be sure. But we could test at runtime, and if the assumption
wasn't true, then revert to the existing method.

> We might want to save the hash to disk.  On restore, the pointer based
> hash would be all wrong.  (I don't know if we actually do ever save a hash
> to disk.  )
The hash table in unique.c appears to be a temporary private hash, different
to the global R_StringHash. Its private hash appears to be used only while
the call to unique runs, then free'd. Thats my understanding anyway. The
suggestion is not to alter the global R_StringHash in any way at all,  which
is the one that might be saved to disk now or in the future.