[Rd] update.packages fails with directory not found

Mike Prager mike.prager at mhprager.com
Mon May 10 14:28:17 CEST 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010 06:33:54 -0400, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

>Mike Prager wrote:
>> Windows XP.  I have just updated to R 2.11.0 and then run
>> update.packages. In the series of updates, a few will succeed, then I
>> get a failure like
>>

>> package 'mvtnorm' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>> package 'party' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>> package 'PBSmodelling' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>> Error in normalizePath(path) :
>>   path[1]="c:\Program Files\R\Library/PBSmodelling": The system cannot
>> find the file specified
>>

>Is that a cut and paste of the error message?  Normally R would double
>the backslashes when displaying a string, so it looks as though you've
>somehow got a path containing the control characters \P, \R, and \L.
>Did you set the lib.loc argument when you called update.packages?

Thank you!  Yes, it's cut and paste.  I did not set lib.loc in the
call (made through the Rgui.exe menu system), but I have the library
location defined in the environment:

R_LIBS=c:/Program Files/R/Library

I've been using this approach for several years, and it's worked
without problem until now.

MHP