[Rd] update.packages fails with directory not found

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon May 10 15:33:27 CEST 2010

On 10/05/2010 8:28 AM, Mike Prager wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2010 06:33:54 -0400, Duncan Murdoch
> <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Mike Prager wrote:
> >> Windows XP.  I have just updated to R 2.11.0 and then run
> >> update.packages. In the series of updates, a few will succeed, then I
> >> get a failure like
> >>

> >> package 'mvtnorm' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> >> package 'party' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> >> package 'PBSmodelling' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> >> Error in normalizePath(path) :
> >>   path[1]="c:\Program Files\R\Library/PBSmodelling": The system cannot
> >> find the file specified
> >>

> >Is that a cut and paste of the error message?  Normally R would double
> >the backslashes when displaying a string, so it looks as though you've
> >somehow got a path containing the control characters \P, \R, and \L.
> >Did you set the lib.loc argument when you called update.packages?
>
> Thank you!  Yes, it's cut and paste.  I did not set lib.loc in the
> call (made through the Rgui.exe menu system), but I have the library
> location defined in the environment:
>
> R_LIBS=c:/Program Files/R/Library
>
> I've been using this approach for several years, and it's worked
> without problem until now.

I can't seem to reproduce this.  If it happens reproducibly on your
system, could you please do the following:
print the result of installed.packages()["PBSmodelling",], .libPaths()
and sessionInfo()?

A possible workaround is to get the names of all of your packages in the
Library folder and install them, rather than using the update.packages()
function.  This may fail if some of them aren't on CRAN or the other
repositories.

Duncan Murdoch